Municipal Code Enforcement
The City of Winder Municipal Code Enforcement provides the health, safety and welfare for the citizens and to maintain and increase the property values by reminding property owners of their responsibility to maintain their property to the minimum standards set by the Municipal City Ordinances. To endeavor to protect and preserve public health, safety, welfare and quality of life for our residents by investigating violations and enforcing City Ordinances in a fair and equitable manner without prejudice or bias.
The Municipal Code Enforcement is the City of Winder's commitment to prosperity for our community, which includes:
- The highest priority in working with residents and businesses to preserve and maintain our City by enforcing codes which address public health, safety and welfare. This includes regulations and ordinances related to housing, maintenance, garbage, specific nuisances, removal of vegetation, zoning, dangerous structures and inoperable or unlicensed vehicles on public or private property.
- Providing a clean, safe and healthy environment in order to preserve a high quality of life for residents and visitors and to improve the appearance and value of residential and business property, realizing that each area has its own unique characteristics and concerns and solutions to their issues depending o the nature of the problems.
- Working Closely with property owners, businesses and citizens to create an environment of cooperation to achieve the ultimate goal of improving the appearance and value of residential and business properties, and a prosperous, livable and safe image of this City.
- A Municipal Code Enforcement Department that is proactive and aggressive in identifying code violations and implementing corrective action through voluntary compliance, warnings and issuance of citations.
- Commitment to providing the residents and businesses of the City of Winder with professional and courteous community service at all times and commitment to a continuous learning environment where code enforcement personnel constantly upgrade their skills as professionals and law enforcement officers.
- Continually striving to work in partnerships with residents, businesses, neighborhood associations, public service agencies and other city and county departments to make the City of Winder a great place to live, work or visit.
Code Enforcement Procedures
Code enforcement's objective is to educate the citizens regarding code enforcement issues, encourage civic pride and obtain voluntary compliance of city ordinances. In almost all circumstances, an inspector's first course of action is to educate the resident or property owner and issue a written notice that explains what the violation is and why it needs to be corrected. In the event a written notice does not encourage a citizen to correct a violation, a citation may be issued to gain compliance. Citations are used as a last resort and are easily avoided through responsible action. If a warning notice is received, citizens are encouraged to speak with their code enforcement officers in order to work our a solution to the problem. In most cases, the code enforcement officer can work with citizens to gain compliance.
The code enforcement officer will retain the discretion to issue a warning or citation based on the circumstances of each violation. However, when discretion is exercised, only one warning will be given to the property owner or individual found to be in violation of a city ordinance. The code enforcement officer may also choose to issue a citation without any prior warning depending on the situation. Ninety-five percent (95%) of citizens comply with city ordinance after being notified about their violation. When an individual continues to violate a city ordinance, citations will be issued.
Code enforcement is becoming the most demanded, yet controversial, function of city government. Many times it appears or one might think it infringes on a person's right of sovereignty on their property. There could be nothing farther from the truth. Some situations exist which seem alright to the property owner but deemed to be detrimental to the health, safety and welfare of the neighbors or contributes to the deterioration of the neighborhoods and business districts. These situations require the Code Enforcement Department to take the necessary actions to resolve the issue.
Reporting City Ordinance Violations
Each citizen has a right and is encouraged to report code violations. Reports may be made by telephone, in person, fax or email. You may also download a code enforcement complaint form below to complete and fax or drop off at Winder City Hall or the Winder Police Department.
Code Enforcement plays a large role in keeping the community from becoming run down and unattractive to those who live, work or visit the City of Winder. Citizens are encouraged to report any code violations which could prevent the preservation and protection of the integrity of the existing housing and business in the City of Winder. It is imperative that citizens take an active role in preserving and protecting our community and reporting violations which threaten the integrity of our City.
Code Enforcement Contact Information
Phone: (770) 867-2156