Fire administration includes the fire chief's office, fire prevention bureau, training division and administrative offices. This division is responsible for budgeting, fleet maintenance, procurement, training, professional standards, fire prevention, payroll, personnel and secretarial/support staff duties.
(Billy Sheridan Fire Headquarters Building)
Built in 1935, the building was home to the Winder Post Office. In 1964, Winder City Hall moved into this building after the Postal Service built its new facility at 101 North Broad Street. City hall remained at this location until October 2004.
Upon city hall's departure, the mayor and council turned the building's upstairs offices over to the Winder Fire Department. On November 14, 2005, after more than 13 months of remodeling and renovation, the fire department offices opened for business, where the department still remains today.
On February 7, 2006, a proclamation was issued from the mayor naming the fire headquarters building after Councilman Billy Sheridan (deceased). Councilman Sheridan served the City of Winder for 35 years consecutively, and the Winder Fire Department held a special place in his heart.