Unsuccessful attempts to form a new county with Jug Tavern as the county seat were initiated as early as 1835 and again in 1855-56. Efforts came to a halt for a number of years in 1877, when the newly adopted State Constitution specified that no new counties be created for a quarter of a century. In 1904, several new counties were formed, and an effort was made to form a new county around Winder.
An unusual situation existed in Winder. The counties of Jackson, Gwinnet and Walton came together in the center of town. (The site is marked today and is located across Athens Street from the courthouse.) This created a great deal of confusion, as is illustrated in local legend:
Two local men became involved in a fight. One of the men, standing in Gwinnett County, shot another man who was standing in Jackson County. The unhappy victim of this affair fell and died in Walton County (Ingram, p. 16).
In 1905, there was an effort made to form the new county, centered in Winder called Stephens. This effort was not successful, but the people of Toccoa were successful in creating the new Stephens County in their area. In 1911, a bill to create Barrow County was introduced in the General Assembly. It passed the Senate unanimously but was defeated in the House. in 1913, it passed the House but was defeated in the Senate. In a reconsideration move, however, it passed 36 to 34. The bill rested until the next session, and on July 7, 1914, Governor John M. Slaton signed the Constitutional Amendment creating Barrow County.
Barrow County was named for David Crenshaw Barrow, chancellor of the University of Georgia.
For more info: Barrow County Chamber of Commerce